Sunday 16 September 2007

Catching up

Am enjoying a very lazy weekend. In fact, am still in my dressing gown and slippers as we speak, waiting for the dishwasher to finish so I can go and have a shower. Ah, life chez WithaY. Always something interesting going on.

So, what's new since I was last here?

Well, went to the gym after work on Thursday and ran (yes RAN*) on the cross trainer for a bit. A first for me, and I was bloody delighted, I can tell you.

ACDC are superb to listen to in the gym, they really are.

Mr WithaY was away Thursday night up in Skegness, so I enjoyed a quiet night in, and a quiet day at home on Friday drafting a presentation for next week. Mr WithaY rang to tell me he'd not be home till about 8.

Interesting how different people view the same conversation. To me, that call went like this:

Mr W: Just called to let you know I will be home about 8. (unspoken but obvious dialogue in my head: "So we'll eat the lovely venison chilli you're cooking after I get home. Mmmm, looking forward to that, you domestic goddess you.")

Me: Ok, see you later, have a good trip. (Ditto, in Mr W's head: "Excellent. I'll wait till you get home before eating, so we can enjoy a meal together and you can tell me all about your trip.")

Mr W: See you later then.

But no. The unspoken dialogue in his head was very different:

Mr W: Just called to let you know I will be home about 8. (unspoken but obvious dialogue in my head: "So we'll eat the lovely venison chilli you're cooking after I get home. Mmmm, looking forward to that, you domestci goddess you."

Me: Ok, see you later, have a good trip. (Ditto, in Mr W's head: "So you eat your supper as soon as you like because I had a sandwich on the road and am going to the pub when I get home. Hurrah!")

Mr W: See you later then.

So. I stayed in and ate chilli and watched Priscilla Queen of the Desert. Mr WithaY "nipped out for a quick one" and rolled in at 1am, pissed and giggly.

Tch.

Saturday was the big Day of Reckoning in the wardrobe. I dragged out a huge pile of clothes that for one reason or another don't get worn. I was quite strict. Basically if I couldn't remember the last time I wore something, or knew it didn't make me feel good when I wore it, out it went. So I now have a lot of space.

On the plus side I found several things I'd forgotten I had, which I will keep.

Stayed up late late, late, last night watching the first 6 episodes of Heroes, which I'd managed to miss to date. Blimey it was entertaining.

Sadly the next 3 episodes are on late tonight, which means I wil probably have to miss at least one of them as it's a school night.

Big excitement on Friday evening in the village. Was sat here with all the windows open, it being a warm day, and I heard a load of yelling and shouting outside.

Looked out (as you do) but all I could see was a big bloke sitting on next door's front garden wall, and a couple of cars stopped in the road. I assumed it was just some eejits messing about, and went back to my lawful business.

But no, the yelling and screaming went on, and I could hear a couple of guys shouting "Calm down! Calm down!" over and over. So I went to another room (with a better vantage point) and looked again. The bloke who was sitting on the wall was in fact helping to hold down a young lad who was lying on the pavement, while a couple of other blokes did the same.

More and more people joined the throng, and inevitably, after a litle while the police arrived, handcuffed the young bloke, bundled him into their car and sped off into the sunset. No idea what was going on, but it livened up my afternoon no end.

Off to an afternoon party in a bit. Better go and make myself look respectable.




*slowly, mind

1 comment:

badgerdaddy said...

Nowt wrong with running slowly, it's my favourite speed.

In fact, I have 10 miles to do slowly later. That's a good couple of hours running, at a slow pace. But I'm going to start around 5pm - 5:30ish, so I get the benefit of running into the sunset if I pick my route just right, and that's a wonderful way to finish a run.

Ah, running slowly. It's great.

10 fucking miles. Not so great. On the other hand, it burns around 100 calories per mile, estimated, so that's 1,000 calories in one simple exercise. I'll be fit like a racing snake before the world knows what's hit it.