Tuesday 12 June 2007

Glass III - The Return

Well, was at home all day today, waiting for the glass repair men to turn up and do my windscreen. Clear skies, light breezes, perfect glass repairing weather.

Kevin the painter and I were getting quite excited by the time the glass repair van arrived, bang on time. The helpful chap I met on Saturday was there, along with another young man who was the "fitter".

The office chap had to come out because it's a two man job and there were no other fitters available. Not from their team, or from any other teams in the whole West Country, apparently.

Anyway, putting that aside, I stood there smiling broadly as they looked at my car. The office chap started poking about with the rubber trim around the windscreen.

"Oh." Pause. "Oh dear." Pause. "I didn't order any new trim. Um." He had the grace to shuffle his feet a bit and look awkward.

I looked at him, then at the trim, then at the fitter, then back at the trim, then at him again, then back at the trim. It was a bit like a Clara Bow film.

"So, let me guess" I said. "You can't fit it today without the new trim?" He shook his head sadly.

"So when can you do it? Tomorrow? Friday? I could arrange to be here on Friday." He shook his head again, even more sadly.

There followed a lengthy and complicated discussion involving my whereabouts over the next fortnight ("No, I'm in Bath that day, no, London that day, no, sorry, Bath again that day, no have to be in the office all those days etc). To be fair, they were trying to fit around my timetable, but it all got very exhausting.

The long and the short of it is that I am now booked in for Saturday 23rd June. I assume June, anyway. I'd better check that.

They are coming HERE.

With the right windscreen.

With the new trim.

With two fitters.

Maybe I should write them a list.

I'm getting quite attached to the broken windscreen now. I shall have to take it out somewhere for our anniversary.

Other news. Fuck all really.

A bit of crap relationship stuff on Second Life. I shall have to stop playing, it is supposed to be fun but I feel like I spend an inordinate amount of time patching things up at the moment. Still, it's just a game, eh?

Kevin the painter is making splendid progress on the house. He has finished the bathroom, which looks fab, and has made a cracking start on the spare room. The ceiling has a coat of white paint, he's fixed the light fitting, the walls are all sanded and the holes filled, and all the woodwork's been prepped.

By Swansea the boy moves fast.

And no, I am not sharing his details. He has more than enough work in our village without us sharing him with Outsiders. A local tradesman for local people.

Mr WithaY rang and left a message to say he was now in Elgin, as part of his work-related Grand Tour of Scotland. I hope he brings me back a stick of rock.

Better go and eat I suppose. I am in no danger of fading away but I don't want to wake up at 4am ravenous.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

ack! seriously considering dropping your second life?

you're about the only fun and relatively sane person I know!

nothing I done/said I hope?

the guy with the chains on his boots

livesbythewoods said...

Hey boot chain guy, no, nothing to do with you. Will chat when we next catch up with each other in there.

Anonymous said...

Bum flaps!

Don't quit on my account matey. Second Life would not be the same. lol.

The arse with the tattoos.

badgerdaddy said...

Sod a stick of rock. If he's in Elgin, you'll be wanting one of them marbles, surely?

livesbythewoods said...

I have been promised an Arbroath Smokie. Whatever that is.

Fish?
Cheese?
Whisky?
Cigar?

I have no idea.