Thursday 30 October 2008

Blast from the past

When I was going into London on Wednesday morning, the train was delayed as we approached Waterloo. We sat still, and then inched forwards, then sat still a bit more.

And so the long day wore on.

After about 10 minutes of this, the charming Polish (I think) guard's voice came over the intercom. She apologised for the delay, and then said "It is because of.....(pause)....a train from the past."

A train from the past eh?

No wonder we were delayed. I was most disappointed when I got out at Waterloo not to see Stephenson's "Rocket" parked up on the next platform, with the bloke with the red flag looking sheepish, apologising to all the grumpy delayed commmuters.

Other news: It snowed! It was minus 4 degrees at 0700 when I was scraping the ice off my car, and by the time the train got to Basingstoke there was significant snow on the ground. And it's not even Halloween yet. Tch.

New job is going ok, I am starting to get to grips with some of the stuff around the edges, which is encouraging. Might even feel semi-competent by Christmas at this rate.

But lawyers. Brrrrrrrrrrr.

3 comments:

Caro said...

Train from the past does sound rather like a time travel thing. :-)

Waffle said...

Oi you. Enough with the lawyer veiled references. We are lovely.

Damn, I nearly said that with a straight face but I lost it at the last minute. What have my brothers and sisters in doom been doing to you LucywithaY?

livesbythewoods said...

Caro, it made me smile on an otherwise dull trip.

Ms Waffle, they scare the bejeebus out of me. They are indeed lovely, but scary.