Monday 26 September 2022

Lumpen mass

We've had a busy few weeks here. Despite neither of us working full-time any more, we seem to have less free time now than we did when we were both oppressed drones in the giant capitalist machine.

I won't bore you all with details of the summer heat (the HEAT, oh lordy, it was terrifying, over 35 degrees for several days in a row etcetera etcetera etcetera) but suffice to say that when I bought the dog a cool mat for her bed I seriously considered buying a few more for the human bed too. 

When we weren't panting in darkened rooms, fanning ourselves and praying for a breeze, we had some jolly nice garden parties, some walks by the river, a village fete, and the Queen's Jubilee celebrations.

More recently, of course, it was the much more sombre Royal Funeral, which I watched with fascination. The proceedings were enlivened by the addition of Ma-in-Law, over from France, and youngest sister and her partner who called in and watched it with us. It felt a bit like Christmas, as we had a toast to Her Maj over lunch.

I tried to think of an appropriate commemorative dish, along the same lines as Coronation Chicken, but was not able to come up with anything which didn't sound both hilarious AND disrespectful, so we had a cold collation instead.

There's been a bit of anxiety just lately over the dog. She's 10 now, which means she's becoming an old lady, and has developed one or two "fatty lumps" under the skin. These are very common in Labradors;  the vet reassured us that they were not a problem, so we left them alone. However, recently, I found another lump in one of her mammary glands, so took her in to the vet for a checkup. The vet's opinion was that it was probably another harmless lipoma (or "fatty lump" - stop me if I get a bit technical) but due to the location it could be something more serious.

Anyhoo, we decided that the safest course of action was for the vet to remove the lump, so if it did turn out to be cancerous we'd have done the right thing as quickly as possible. Biopsy results are due in a week or two.

The dog is now a few days post-op, and has been lying quietly in her bed, occasionally emerging with a big stretch to eat poached chicken, have a cuddle, and go for a short slow walk. Basically, she has the life I've always dreamed of. 

In contrast, I have been going to the gym several times a week, and having a damn sight less delicious chicken than the dog.

It's been an expensive month so far. The vet (thankfully) is mostly covered by pet insurance, but we've also had to pay the balance on the new wooden shutters in the sitting room (very smart, despite a minor irritating difference in size/fitting/alignment on one of them) two lots of car tax, new front tyres on my car, and some unexpected dental work for Mr WithaY. 

We are fortunate to have some reserves to allow us to pay the bills. And, a delightful unexpected bonus, when the bloke was replacing my tyres he showed me that the brake pads are worn down, so I need new brakes on all four wheels. Yay. Still, I've had that car almost 3 years and it hasn't needed anything doing to it really, other than wiper blades and oil changes, so I don't begrudge it.

Also, I understand that properly-functioning brakes are quite important. 

We went to a friend's funeral a week or two ago - he had a terrible fall from which he wasn't able to recover, so it was a dreadful shock to everyone. Due to a technical hitch, the carefully-curated music couldn't be played, so the vicar said "We'll sing without music," and led the charge, belting out the hymns in a splendid full voice. I have NEVER heard such singing from a congregation - it was a marvellous thing.

I mentioned that Ma-in-Law was here. She has travelled over from France, via family in Dorset, to us, then on to family in Cambridge, and is due back to us in a few days, from whence she will travel back to France. She's 87, and is indomitable. I just hope she avoids catching Covid on the many planes, buses, coaches and trains she has been using. 

You'll be delighted to know that the Civil Service came through and I now receive my pension. Yay me being a pensioner. 

I have been idly reviewing local job websites, but haven't seen anything yet which I fancy, other than one job which I applied for and never heard back from. Bastards.


I did very much enjoy these two adverts. 

We have BOTH kinds of jobs here in Wiltshire!

There has been some discussion amongst our friendship group that Mr WithaY is qualified to do both jobs, possibly at the same time, which would be a sight to see,

It reminds me of the Futurama episodes with the terrifying robot Santa.

Oh! We've been going to the cinema a bit too - I can highly recommend Three Thousand Years of Longing. Idris Elba as a magical genie, what's not to love? 

See How They Run was less entertaining, but it was intriguing that two other groups of people in the audience (an older couple and three little white-haired ladies) giggled and at times guffawed throughout. Almost every line of dialogue elicited an audible "hee hee hee" from them all, and left Mr WithaY and I looking at each other in bewilderment. What were we missing?

We decided that they were all pissed.

One of the very real joys of not working traditional hours is that we can take ourselves off to the pictures on a Monday afternoon if we feel like it. Or go out for lunch on a school day. Or stay up late on a Sunday night. Mr WithaY has started his Autumn calendar of work commitments, so most of his weekends will be taken up with that, but we can still go out and about in the week, and I love it. 

My creative mojo has made a welcome return, and I have been dressmaking. I made a jacket: 



I used an existing edge-to-edge jacket as the pattern, and added the 1950s-ish collar. I like it, and have worn it over my many, many plain linen summer dresses. 

Currently working on a tunic top with grown-on sleeves, which I think will look nice when it's finished. The pattern has no pockets, so I am considering adding some, but can't decide if I'll just add simple patch pockets, or some slightly more complicated inseam pockets.

So, keeping busy. Hoping for good news about the dog's biopsy. Enjoying life. Trying to ignore the terrifying massive bin fire going on *gestures* everywhere.

No comments: