Wednesday 8 June 2022

Time Consuming

 Still waiting for a sack of cash from the Civil Service pensions people, but hopefully that will turn up in the next few weeks. If not, I may have to resort to busking on the streets of West Wiltshire to keep body and soul together.

It's been a whirl of creativity here for the last couple of weeks. Mr WithaY and I decided to go along to a Regency picnic at Stourhead, which we'd seen advertised on social media. A couple of re-enactment mates were also planning to go, so we met up with them and had a splendid day in the boiling sunshine. There were about 20-ish people taking part, but it was hard to tell as we were all scattered around the house and grounds, so I never counted heads.

The picnic was a great success; the weather was spectacular and we all looked marvellous. Well, to be fair, I looked like a red-faced, slightly overheated middle-aged woman in a bonnet, but that was pretty much the look I was going for. 

The "around the grounds" walk after lunch took ages, and boy, is it a long way round the lake! Fortunately the scenery is exquisite, and there was loads of shade, but I felt it the next day. I shall definitely do more Regency events if they involve sitting on the grass eating pie, and then sauntering about in a big hat. 

The village held a Jubilee picnic last Sunday to celebrate the Platinum Jubilee. It was lovely to see so many of our neighbours after the last 2 years, and to meet some of the new people who've moved in over lockdown. Mostly from that there London. 

There was a Grand Jubilee Pudding Contest, with a Mystery Prize*, so of course I submitted an entry. I made a chocolate mousse cake, artfully decorated with Smarties in a rainbow motif. I didn't win, but it was all eaten (and not just by me) so that was a top result. 

The rain held off until late in the afternoon so everyone had a chance to chat, eat, listen to the band, and enjoy the novelty of being in a public space with almost the whole village again. 

I'm still going to the gym regularly, and enjoying it very much. I am also planning to re-kindle my very ancient tennis skills and start playing with a friend from the village. We are both Ladies of a Certain Age (although I am a bit older!) and I think it will be fun to get together and see exactly how eroded our techniques have become. 

Inspired by the recent Regency dressmaking, I have been doing a fair bit of research, and am planning to make some more historical kit so that we can attend events in future. 

I feel a trip to the excellent fabric warehouse coming on. 


*A John Lewis giftcard! I don't know the value, but I'd have LOVED it. 




No comments: