Sunday 23 May 2010

Dog days

Hello!  I'm still here, still alive and everything, just not been doing much that I thought was worth blogging about. 

I know, I know, doesn't usually stop me. 

Hot, though, isn't it?  Blimey.  25 degrees centigrade in here, according to my little thermometer on the wall, and that's at 10pm.  There's no point going to bed yet, I'll be far too hot, so I have been painting my toenails, ready to inflict their damask loveliness on all of London Town tomorrow. 

I'm trying not to think about the train journeys.  If the air conditioning works, it's ok.  If it doesn't (a far more likely scenario) it will be two hours of sweaty muggy unpleasantness all the way to Waterloo.  And home again, of course, when it will be many degrees warmer and probably a lot more crowded.  Gah.

But that's enough about nasty, sweaty train travel.  We all know I will be ranting about it afterwards, so why expend energy now anticipating it?

But, yes, sweaty stuff.  I am currently trying out a new venture in armpit-wear.  It is this and it works.  Impressively so.   After three hours in the garden everything was still perfectly dry and fragrant.  I have no idea how it works, I expect I have far sweatier hands now or something, but hey, I can live with that. 

This afternoon we have been mostly Planting Things In The Garden.  These things, among other things:



Runner beans, marjoram, oregano, hyssop and creeping thyme.  There were also two blueberry bushes, which I have high hopes for. 

We've been to see our mates up in Gloucestershire this weekend, having a truly lovely weekend relaxing, eating, drinking and laughing a lot more than we have for a while.  Mr WithaY and I both feel so much better for it. 

They took us to the discount shopping centre at Gloucester Docks, where Mr WithaY bought new sandals.



He promises not to wear them with the socks.  Well, not in public, at least.

Here they are au naturale (sp?):



I bought some very nice tops in the Per Una section of the Marks and Spencer there, hugely reduced, and even better, a size smaller than I usually buy.  I tried on a very pretty skirt, but it was too big. Too BIG.  I was thrilled.  Hurrah for me.

We spent a lot of time fussing over the spaniels.  Regular readers will recall that these same spaniels have committed dreadful atrocities in the WithaY garden when they have come visiting.  The rosemary bush was never quite the same again. 



There are actually three of them, but the buggers were never all in the same place at the same time to photograph. 

Right.  Toenail varnish is dry.  I need to try and get some sleep despite the heat*, and then I can get up at 6 tomorrow without feeling as though it's some sort of hideous punishment.

Other news:  Brother in Law seems to be improving slowly.  Fingers crossed that his recovery is complete and rapid. 



*Yes, I know it's lovely.  And I am really genuinely pleased that the weather is so fantastic.  I am just doing the traditional British "Ooh, I don't like it when it's too hot" thing. 

4 comments:

Mrs Jones said...

Don't worry, the weather's going to go all to shit by the middle of this week. And that'll be it for our summer. Just like the last two years.

badgerdaddy said...

I had a favourite deodorant once. I used it for about 16 years. It was one of those designed to neutralise the sweat, rather than stop it coming out. Worked brilliantly, never once failed me even when doing long runs.

Then the bastards at King of Shaves stopped fucking making it late last year, and I can't find anything nearly as good.

Isabella Golightly said...

I was going to write a snarky comment about how summer is not hot until it's hit 40C, but then I thought, "she'll hate me, they'll all hate me". So I won't write that snarky comment. I'll just go away & put my electric blanket on & my polar fleece and my slippers, and snark quietly to myself.

livesbythewoods said...

Mrs J, it has already turned. Bah. I enjoyed it while it lasted though.

Badgerdaddy, write to them and demand they send you some. Tell them you are an internet superstar, I bet they listen.

Isabella, 40 degrees is INSANE, woman! Nobody can live in that. Well, nobody in my village, anyway.